2015 Tongji Mechanical Ventilation Forum Builds on TraditionSeptember 1, 2015
Chinese Respiratory Therapist Clinical Exchange Rotation At University of Virginia Medical CenterSeptember 10, 2015
By Ellen Liu, Procedural & Clinical Educational Education Department, Medtronic China
The respiratory therapy educational program “CA2T – Respiratory Care Time” was recognized as a Level II Program by the International Education Recognition System (IERS).
Level II Approval is for seminars that may be repeated several times during a calendar year. To date the seminar has been offered twice in Xuhui District, Shanghai, once on April 28-29 and the second time on August 17–18. Both programs were well attended and participants reported a high level of satisfaction with the seminars.
After completion of the program participants were expected to satisfy the major objectives of the program which were to:
- Measure and interpret respiratory mechanics.
- Identify & describe mechanical ventilation modes/ waveforms & alarms.
- Identify the pattern of patient-ventilator asynchrony and list management adjustments.
- Describe & apply the mechanical ventilation strategy for ARDS Patient.
- Describe the process and list key points of ventilator maintenance.
- List the precautions for transportation of critical care patients.
The average working experience in ICU by participants was 7 years with length of experience ranging from a high of 15 years to a low of 2 years. Participants reported being highly satisfied with the program and on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest score the attendees gave the program an overall rating of 4.76. The practical clinical workshops and simulation experiences were the most popular activities with the students. Building on the success of the first two seminars there are plans to provide more learning opportunities for those who practice respiratory therapy in the greater Shanghai area.